Well, list my goals, of course :)
- Obtain Money for smart phone
- Choose the platform you wish to develop for
- Have a phone and mobile plan chosen
- Consider looking into tablets as well
- Get information on what you need to know for platform development and distribution
- Learn the best method, for you, to get your feet wet.
Pretty straight forward, right? I'm sure I am missing a step or two but I will learn that along the way. So how do I achieve these goals? Well, lets start w/ the first one.
Obtain Money
Since I do not wish to get another job and eBay has devalued all my sci-fi collectibles and comics, I must look at my skill set. I have a very strong background in Computer Art, 3D Modeling and Advertising. A freelance advertising gig usually pays well if you can get a long term client. So that is what I will pursue. I actually already have a potential client meeting scheduled for next week. Everyone asks me to build them a website. However, I am NOT a web developer. So I send them away. Now a days, that doesn't matter much for a lot of clients. They want something small and simple that I could pull off with a template. Pretty easy. No coding required. You could do it as well. Just something to throw out there.
While waiting to get going on a freelance 'career', I can get started on the other goals.
Choose the platform you wish to develop for
I am going w/ the Android OS. It is very popular and catching up to the iPhone, cheap and easy to publish to, and most Tablets are using it.
Have a phone and mobile plan chosen
My work offers a discount at Verizon and Sprint. So I picked a cheap plan w/ limited talking minutes but unlimited data use. I can buy my phone at Amazon Wireless
for 1 Penny!!! Can't beat that. I really like the R2D2 Android Phone 
Consider looking into tablets as well
I have looked at many tablets. I kept in mind that I did not need mobile plan to test apps on. Plus, there are many that handle WiFi just fine. Some do not, I was originally interested in the Archos 7.1 Internet tablet. After much research, I found it would not be for me. One thing to look at is whether or not you are 'allowed' to test your apps with the device. If it has a straight Android OS, you should be fine. I have my eye on the Toshiba Tablet ;)
Get information on what you need to know for platform development and distribution
First thing I am looking at is the Google App Inventor , You can start to learn this software and develop mobile apps using their app emulator. ( haven't tried it yet but plan to soon ). Another cool service is with AppsGeyser . I could easily take this blog and just convert it to app w/ this service. Did I mention that these services are FREE? There are a lot of books out there as well. For example, here is one for creating apps and
games for the iPhone:Click Here!
Learn the best method, for you, to get your feet wet.
Well, I hate to say it, but I am not that far enough along w/ that to offer any helpful suggestions. All in good time.
In Summery, I plan to move forward with this endeavor and continue to post my findings here. I hope some of you will find it helpful. I know not everyone wanting to create Mobile Apps is an experienced programmer. Don't feel bad, I am in the same boat. Please feel free to contribute to this blog. I appreciate your advice as well.
Obtain Money
Since I do not wish to get another job and eBay has devalued all my sci-fi collectibles and comics, I must look at my skill set. I have a very strong background in Computer Art, 3D Modeling and Advertising. A freelance advertising gig usually pays well if you can get a long term client. So that is what I will pursue. I actually already have a potential client meeting scheduled for next week. Everyone asks me to build them a website. However, I am NOT a web developer. So I send them away. Now a days, that doesn't matter much for a lot of clients. They want something small and simple that I could pull off with a template. Pretty easy. No coding required. You could do it as well. Just something to throw out there.
While waiting to get going on a freelance 'career', I can get started on the other goals.
Choose the platform you wish to develop for
I am going w/ the Android OS. It is very popular and catching up to the iPhone, cheap and easy to publish to, and most Tablets are using it.
Have a phone and mobile plan chosen
My work offers a discount at Verizon and Sprint. So I picked a cheap plan w/ limited talking minutes but unlimited data use. I can buy my phone at Amazon Wireless
Consider looking into tablets as well
I have looked at many tablets. I kept in mind that I did not need mobile plan to test apps on. Plus, there are many that handle WiFi just fine. Some do not, I was originally interested in the Archos 7.1 Internet tablet. After much research, I found it would not be for me. One thing to look at is whether or not you are 'allowed' to test your apps with the device. If it has a straight Android OS, you should be fine. I have my eye on the Toshiba Tablet ;)
Get information on what you need to know for platform development and distribution
First thing I am looking at is the Google App Inventor , You can start to learn this software and develop mobile apps using their app emulator. ( haven't tried it yet but plan to soon ). Another cool service is with AppsGeyser . I could easily take this blog and just convert it to app w/ this service. Did I mention that these services are FREE? There are a lot of books out there as well. For example, here is one for creating apps and
games for the iPhone:Click Here!
Learn the best method, for you, to get your feet wet.
Well, I hate to say it, but I am not that far enough along w/ that to offer any helpful suggestions. All in good time.
In Summery, I plan to move forward with this endeavor and continue to post my findings here. I hope some of you will find it helpful. I know not everyone wanting to create Mobile Apps is an experienced programmer. Don't feel bad, I am in the same boat. Please feel free to contribute to this blog. I appreciate your advice as well.
Good start...if you want some insight give me a call. I've worked with a team that has developed both iOS and Android apps that are getting approval currently!. This should be fun to read! You'll succeed...its what you do best!
ReplyDelete